Under HIPAA, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, a patient’s personal information and medical history must be protected both physically and electronically. Because of this, HIPAA also requires healthcare organizations with access to critical patient information to assess their current security system, identifying discrepancies and gaps.
Everywhere critical patient information is stored – both physically and electronically – must be properly protected.
Information Security Assessment & HIPAA Compliance
- Identify information which needs to be protected.
- Determine who needs access to the protected information.
- What circumstances warrant viewing critical information?
- Determine when and how information is to be shared both internally and externally.
- Determine what physical and network security systems are in place and test those systems. What else can be done to better protect information?
The difference between being HIPAA compliant and being in violation of these guidelines could be as simple as whether or not a door locks properly.
Physical Access Control
Doors and locks, one aspect of physical access control, is your first line of defense against security threats. But simply having a lock on a door is not sufficient.
- The lock must perform as intended, only allowing authorized personnel into sensitive areas.
- Doors should open and close smoothly.
- Hinges should be sturdy and should ideally face inside.
- Certain doors should have the ability to be audited, viewed by CCTV or staffed by security personnel at all times.
Find out how ARK Systems, Inc. can help!
How do you make your security all it should be? Or better yet, could be? ARK has the answers.
We’re an industry leader in security design, installation and service, from simple telephone entry systems to the latest technology, including retina, hand, vein and fingerprint recognition, and more. Our equipment is strictly best-in-class. And our implementation is skillful and efficient—a fact that we’ve proven for over 30 years, at government facilities, research centers, corporate campuses, high-rises and educational institutions, just to name a few examples.
ARK Systems: We’re not just here to solve problems; we’re here to prevent problems!
For any further questions on Physical Security and Security Assessments, simply contact ARK Systems at 1-800-995-0189 or click here today.
When you consider how crucial security can be, and when you think of all the options that you’re faced with today, one thing becomes clear. You need a contractor with experience. For assessment, design, installation, testing and service, ARK is the expert across the board.
Check us out on Facebook and Twitter as well!