If you have a need for increased security, but are unsure how to go about the process, you may be in the market for a security consultant. Finding the right consultant, however, is sometimes difficult. That is why it helps to familiarize yourself with the intricacies of the position.
First of all, what is a security consultant? Well, the term refers to an individual or group with specialized knowledge in the security industry.
How can a security consultant benefit your company? They can:
• Provide an unbiased view of your security needs
• Bring knowledge from solving problems in different environments
• Save money by resolving problems with cost effective solutions
• Bring a fresh pair of eyes to review problems
• Provide recommendations
• Assist in negotiating lower bids by knowing what the labor time and charges should be for individual tasks
• Write comprehensive specifications that make it difficult for unscrupulous vendors to add charges during the construction period
• Provide post construction services to ensure that all aspects of the job have been completed properly as detailed in the specifications
• Help recruit and select a truly qualified vendor
• Provide other assistance
But not all consultants offer all of the above advantages.
The problem is that the field is very broad, made up of hundreds of unique disciplines. Because the field is so diverse, it is impossible for any one individual to be an expert in all topics. Some projects can be handled by an individual, while others may require a team to ensure the proper depth of knowledge in each critical subject area. So do you require a single consultant or a team of consultants? Your project will be the determining factor.
How do security consultants learn their trade? Security consultants learn through experience. They start out in one area of security, learning the intricacies of the field. They then apply that knowledge as consultants. Knowing where a given consultant learned his craft is a good way to evaluate which potential consultant is the most knowledgeable about your project.
How can you learn more about a potential consultant?
• Talk directly to their clients to find out about your potential consultants reputation.
• Find out what kind of projects they normally work on. Are they similar to yours?
• Look into each team member, not just the head of a particular consulting team.
• Do they have the capacity to handle your project without any unreasonable delays?
• Is the consultant independent or are they affiliated with any vendor or product?
So do your research and make sure you hire the right security consultant.
For any questions on Tips for Selecting the Right Security Consultant, simply contact ARK Systems at 1-800-995-0189 or click here today.
When you consider how crucial security can be, and when you think of all the options that you’re faced with today, one thing becomes clear. You need a contractor with experience. For assessment, design, installation, testing and service, ARK is the expert across the board.
10 Tips for Selecting the Right Security Consultant CampusSafetyMagazine.com